Wednesday, May 2, 2018
The entries are in for, perhaps, the most wide open Kentucky Derby we've seen in decades. All that's left is for would-be handicappers to sort through the maze of information and figure out which horses to wager on based on Beyer numbers, Ragozins, Thorographs, personal observations and anything else they can find to throw into the mix.
Here's a quick rundown of some tidbits concerning the 20 runners:
(1) There are 17 Kentucky-breds entered. The lone "others" are Firenze Fire (Florida), Audible (New York) and Flameaway (Ontario).
(2) Scat Daddy has the most runners - 4 (Flameaway, Justify, Mendelssohn, Combatant). Curlin is second with 3 (Good Magic, Solomini, Vino Rosso). Medaglia d'Oro has 2 (Bolt D'Oro, Enticed). So 9 of 20 competitors are by three stallions.
(3) Only one horse has won more than four races - Flameaway with 5. Those with four are Firenze Fire, Audible, Bolt D'Oro, Mendelssohn and Magnum Moon.
(4) The only unbeaten horses in the race are Magnum Moon, at 4-for4 and Justify, at 3-for-3.
(5) There are four with just a maiden score (Lone Sailor, Hofburg, Solomini, Combatant).
(6) There are four who are already millionaires (Good Magic, $1,855,000); Bolt D'Oro ($1,016,000); Mendelssohn ($1,961,137); Magnum Moon ($1,177,800).
(7) One horse has made 10 starts (My Boy Jack); two have made nine (Firenze Fire, Flameaway): three have made eight (Free Drop Billy, Lone Sailor, Bravazo).
comments powered by